Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Im going CRAZY!!! :)







Quilt crazy that is..or more correctly Crazy quilting. A dear friend of mine made a gorgeous crazy quilt bag that i immediately obsessed over making. I couldnt sleep(Really!!) for thinking about it. And then I remembered the badly half completed quilt I had made from my horse ribbons when I was a teenager and knew nothing of quilting. I had pondered what to do with this since learning the trade and also the many satin ribbons that acumulated in my collection since the ever more durable and sewable felt ones went out of vogue (or cost too much). Crazy quilting seemed just the excuse to get cutting and use my exsiting embroidery skills plus learn some new ones along the way (

Problem: I find it very hard to read instructions and follow what should be easy picture instructions in books...but, I tried..). This project will be alabour of love. I am stitching all my pony and horses names, pony clubs and then adding lace and bling and whatever else I want!

I am having so much fun doing this...Honestly there just arnt enough hours in the day...for cooking cleaning and general house work. Should I feel guilty??? Not while watching Dr Phils 1000 and 1001 episode surely.?

My machine has decided to behave itself and with much joy I have mostly finished my patriotic quilt top. Just need to cut borders for the two sides, and then put it away on top of all the other UFOs.. I am pleased with the look of it though. You can find the pattern herehttp://maryquilts.com/ Great site for free patterns.

School is back this week here in New zealand and this term we have Alexandras first ever ballet exams to look forward to (pre primary) and this August month the day after the exams is also her birthday.

Have a great day

Cherry

5 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I'm SO ready to start a crazy quilt but I just can't seem to find the time. It won't be large - the doll size one I made took me months to embroider but I had a lot of fun doing it.

I love the Patriotic Rails - thanks for sharing the photo and the link to my site.

The Tin House said...

Hi Cherry - thanks for visiting me over at the tin house. I had a big laugh at my own expense when I realised I had vandalised my Amish dolly by giving her a face. Oh well....just as well I'm not Amish really!!!

I love the idea of using the ribbons for a quilt - totally mad!

I'm going to have a look around now and see all the things you've made.

p.s. A friend of mine has just moved from Sydney to Ohope. Loves it.
Lisa x

Amy said...

The pony ribbons look great. Now I'm wondering if my mother kept my lamb and calf day ribbons.

Anonymous said...

Hello! You visited my blog, but you have your e-mail set to "no reply" from your blog, so I thought I would comment here.

Yes I understand about the machine quilting! I have only tried small. I haven't tried anything big yet and hope I can do it!

The Nice People Nice Things quilt is available all over the world. You could order it from the states, you could order it from Australia. Check out my sidebar. Click on the quilt, and then in the sidebar of that blog, the designer's link is there and she lists where you can get this pattern all over the world. Hope it helps! Good luck :o)

Jilly's Space said...

What a great way to display your ribbons! I made a small crazy quilt(wall hanging) years ago. I am hoping to get my sewing machine back into action this fall after being stored for way too long!