Wednesday, July 7, 2010

news from the cold homestead

Brrrrr It is freezing here in NZ at the moment. Cold southerlies are blowing in straight from the Antartic! The chooks were let out for a free range around the garden today as it was the first day in a while it had stopped raining in biblical proportions. They enjoyed it and I dug up the new area of vege garden I developed days ago in order to treat them with some fat earthworms. In return they turned up the newly dug sods a bit and fertilised the area! A fair trade. Here two of girls find the driest bit of soil to dust bath. They look a mess when the soil is damp but still seem to enjoy it. When I see them enjoying chooky life like this I find it nasty to think of their lives in the battery farm and worse still for all the poor chooks still there.
Sam examines the old tyres from the jeep now used to house some strawberry plants. It is covered with bird netting and will be joined with the matching tyre soon. It doesnt look much right now but come spring...






Bounty from the neighbours. They always share their tangerines with us. This year we have traded in eggs..The tangerines are still alittle tart at the moment. we also enjoy the fruits of their apricot tree that hangs over our fence.
The pok Choi is doing so well in this freeze. Shame the only ones enjoying it are the chooks. I will have to learn how to cook it and with what. GHIU picked this up to day from winemaker friends. We will cut it in half and plant out some things. Alex wants her whole half to grow her wheatgraass in!! I have planted some tomatoe seeds from last years tommies in the hot cupboard. A bit rash Im now thinking. If they do grow i guess I will put them in the barrel and cloche them up and hope for the best! Im just so keen to get things growing!!!
And I shreiked with joy when today I saw that my row of garlic had emerged. I was SOOO happy with this discovery as I have been having a peek every day. This particular row was from an organic Hawkes Bay garlic and there is no sign of any others yet.

CRAFT:
I went to my first ever scrapbooking class the other night. it was fabulous and I didnt want to leave!! I came away with a gorgeous made page for my wedding album and went back the next day to purchase a kit from the last evening I hadnt gone to to do another page for the wedding album (elevan years in the making!!) I am so pleased with the results but my battery died on my camera and so I will post them next time. I also made a couple of small homemade accordian albums for presents and have almost finished my sheep wallhanging. Just doing the final appliquea around the sides. Very nice doing this late at night knowing theres no school tomoorow, Ghiu  off for the week. Doing the things I love by a roasting fire while outside the wind blows in from the southerly ice mass!

Tomorrow is Symbas last day as a boy cat with boy bits. Catching him wandering around the neighbourhood dangerously crossing roads etc has propelled us into making THE appointment. And tomorrow morning he is going to the vets. Poor gingy
We have taken advantage of the poor weather by catching up with Videos. Today it was Valkyrie..sad Didnt realise it was a true story..and Precious..what a OMG movie that was. GHIU watched it with me even though it wasnt a war moveie and he was glued to it too. Thankfully we walked away from the video hire without renting Cold Snow a movie about Nazi zombies...
Happy wintering
Cherry

No comments: