Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chooks, wroms and backyard happenings

Poor Christmas..you cant tell to good from these pics but parts of  her neck resemble a chicken corpse before you make it into soup. Thankfully she seems to be recovering (ie Bossing all the others around, eating furiously and laying brown eggs) I know the photos are poor, but you try balancing a chook, holding the fethers apart and taking the photo all while she didnt really want to olige.After all that effort I was going to use the photos!!
Yesterday we went to the farmers market and there was a chook show..I found and refound in love with a few lavender Araunacunas. I love the blue eggs and the grey chooks are gorgeous. If only for some more land..although watch this space if i can wing it(bad pun) in the next while to fit a couple in I will!!!


I went out to do a controlled dig in the orchard for the girls to take my mind off going into pak nSave and buying yet more Cookie dough and chocolate chip ice cream (which is like crack to me) Not that Ive ever taken even a smidge of a recreational drug, but I can only imagine the passionate cravings and overwhelming desire is the same!! The chooks ploughed into the fat worms until that were sated and suddenly fat worms were ignored as the chooks in one sauntered off with a bloated kind of look. I feel sorry for the worms ut i do so love the chooks enjoying their day out into the orchard and the rear end fertiliser as it flies around the soil gives me immense pleasure. Then there was a light rain as if to help with the whole fertilising process..magic. Did i mention  i love having chooks??





My new strawberry pots...GHIU hit the roof when he saw they were on his new lawn around the vege plot. We cant quite agree on my no lawn wants at the present time. I can only work on him, ut i rely on his practical engineering and planting skills so cant just do what i want to do!!!!


The sixth chook  overseeing it all. whereever the chooks are you will find the Ginge..


And finally the winter plot. Filled with bok choi, caulis, brocolli, brussells, silverbeet, asian salad greens and underneath it all loads and loads of garlic (which I accidentently dug up a corm the ither day while planting some greens and it had loads of roots ..heres hoping for a monster crop!!)

I plan to do a lot more fossiking around the "farm" this week . Lots to do to ensure a great spring yet.
Lots of love
Happy gardening
Cherry

1 comment:

dee said...

Hi Craftycherry. Thanks for popping by.. You mention living here in south London on a OE.What's a OE? *smiles*
Have a nice day
Dee