Friday, April 11, 2008

Harvesting the goodies






Although I love and celebrate each and every day and season, this particular time of the year is special. As the days darken earlier and the clock goes back and things seem to become a bit dull outside, the harvest is in full swing. Orchards are busy with apples, tomatoes and corn abound and my kitchen is full of the tools of preserving.


Today friends of ours moved and in amidst the moving we managed to pick several kilos of feijoas. I love preserving these, although most people freeze the insides or stew them and freeze them. But Im always aware of things like the power going off and losing all frozen goods! It always makes me feel okay about the incoming reession while I am bottling, kind of like stocking up the cupboard for tougher times I guess. (This being the case we will be living on peaches, tomato relish and sauce and feijoa


So although the pool cover is on and the mornings are quite chilly, my pantry becomes full with all the goodies from our harvest.

No comments: