Sunday, May 30, 2010

life in the lttle farm continues



Well i had more pics but blogger is doing strange things as i write and I only have these two. The top photo is our new vege garden planted with greens and some cloches (I havent got enough for all of them!)Ive planted caulies, brussel sprouts and pak choi.  Hope they survive. theyve survivied the horrendous flooding rains so far..the pros of having a raised garden.
The next pic is Sam my mad lab who I have to dodge and duck by each day in order to get to the chook shed. He is one crazy dog who sooooo needs a farm of his own. He is five but acts likes a puppy.
The final phot is of georgia at the Suzanne Prentice concert which she sang at.
On the chook front the chooks are all laying we get three to four eggs each day and on one occassion only two. I am continuing to learn more about poultry by doing lots of reading and lots of trial and error.  Sad Chook is now lookiing remarkably happy and healthy and has lovely red colours around her eyes and on her watttles. Im pretty sure she isnt laying. I picked her up the other day after hearing repeatedly aout checking her "vent" for evidence of laying. Much to GHIU dismay i pointed her rear end in his direction and told him to have a look. he said he wasnt doing that, but fortuiously a wind blew her tail feathers asunder and he said regrettibly it was white not poink and moist, (Thos eing the two choices I gave him) I hope she does lay!@!!!! She is only 18 months old, ut the condition she arrived in and they fact that the others gave her such a hiding all the time wouldnt help expediate laying. She is still bottom of the pecking order (Christmas being at the top)  but has otherwise melded in well. I would NEVER introduce a single hen into the pen again (lesson leaarnt).
I have een doing a ton of scraping (slight overkill there..) and will take some photos to share next time. Also I have finished a quilt a scrap quilt that has only been in the closet for four years (!). photos next time.
With warm winter love
Cherry

No comments: